Goerke Family

Goerke Family

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bumps in the Road...

It has been a while since I have written and I do apologize for that. You know you are doing something right when obstacles begin to block the way and all you can do is pray through them. One of my favorite verses is " My grace is sufficient for you; for MY POWER is made perfect weakness". We have had a season of "weakness" at the Goerke house. We have spent the last 6 weeks battling Influenza A, Strep and Influenza B. It is so hard to function when your kids are sick and no one is getting much sleep but thankfully; for Today, everyone is well! Thank you to those of you who have been praying for us through this! Well enought about us and my excuses; On to Africa!!!
Since I wrote last a team has been to Africa to visit the "A team" as they were known to us here in the states. Karolyn Schrage who is one of the women who went on the trip is so precious and made it a point to call me when she got back and recount the stories as detailed as she could so i could pretend I was there with them. My words were few, for those of you who know me that is in itself is a miracle, as I could only imagine the reunion that took place. I am so grateful for the encouragement the mission team took with them there. Denise said that when they had gone home, Karolyn had left her clothes there for Denise to have and Denise said they familiar smell of Karolyn still at the house made her cry. They are so Strong but they are homesick too.
  A few weeks ago another team was able to take in the supplies that the mission team from here couldn't take over and the things we shipped over a long time ago arrived too! Talk about a BLESSING!! They opened their christmas gifts, their mattresses came in, denise has a stove and the kids were so excited for the oatmeal and hot chocolate we sent! Isn't it ironic how spoiled we are here!! And just in case the kids didnt stick out enough being white; my dad sent them a trampoline!! I think it is hilarious but that is what they wanted! I can only imagine what the natives there are saying about the bouncing white people! The team continues to go through adjustments, transitions and establishing "home" in a unfamiliar land; please continue to pray for them.
  This last month Paige turned 2 and Tatum turned 6! Birthdays are always a little hard for me. My sister was with me when my kids were born and has been to every major event in their lives; it is a hole that is very evident when we celebrate without them. I have yet to write a blog without crying and this one is turning out to be no different. I still struggle going to my mom's house and seeing Dylann's "red pilly"; I tear up when I hear my kids talk about "the beck kids"( I know it is weird that they call them by their last name), a friend of ours made captain at the fire dept and i cried bc that would have been Josh if they had stayed. I know that as time goes on some things will get easier but I know that even if they came home today their hearts would still be in Africa and God's calling in their lives has not changed. They are where God wants them; despite my own struggles- God is the one who supplies a peace that passes understanding!
 The fundraising continues!! I still have some tie top purses if you are interested and lots of coin purses. The purses are $15 and the coin purses $5. Thank you so much for those of you who continue to lift us up in prayer, who have supported our fundraising efforts and who continue to send ideas my way of how we can reach our goal! Well the kids are coming trickling in and of course, one is bleeding so time to go! Love you ALL!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart Dawn. I get so excited thinking about your reunion with your sister. Praying you get the funds you need a.s.a.p.!

    ReplyDelete